Due to the altitude of 1,200m you can still experience a real winter fairy tale in Mallnitz.
Cross-country skiing, tobogganing, snowshoeing and winter hiking, ice skating, horse-drawn sleigh rides, ski tours or simply enjoy the landscape on a walk.
Cross-country skiing in the Seebach and Tauern valleys
Cross-country skiing on the most beautiful trails in the Hohe Tauern National Park region. Excellently maintained cross-country trails, awarded with the Carinthian cross-country trail quality seal, lead through the dreamlike winter world of the Seebach and Tauern valleys around Mallnitz. Whether relaxing winter enjoyment or a sporting challenge, the more than 50 km long network of cross-country ski trails (25 km classic and 25 km skating) will also inspire you. To ensure 100% snow guarantee, the cross-country ski trail in the Tauern Valley is even covered with snow.
The entrance to the cross-country trails (Sonnenloipe, Tauerntal and Verbindungsloipe) is only a few minutes away from our house and the ski and cross-country bus will take you to Seebachtal comfortably and free of charge.
Cross-country skiing trails in Mallnitz:
- Sonnenloipe Rabisch easy 3,4 km 20 vertical meters skating and classic
- Tauerntaloipe small easy 5,1 km 60 vertical meters skating and classic
- Seebachtalloipe easy 5,3 km 20 vertical meters skating and classic
- Tauerntaloipe large medium 7,8 km 110 vertical meters skating and classic
- Connecting trail Seebachtal medium 3,4 km 100 vertical meters skating and classic
Here you will find our cross-country ski trails in tour portal with altitude profile and all details. We will be happy to print out your desired trail at the reception.
Our "Nordic Fit" services:
- Cross-country ski trail entrance only a few minutes from the hotel
- Cross-country ski racks in the outdoor area
- Lockable ski room with cross-country ski rack and boot dryer
- Facility for drying cross-country ski clothing
- Hydration belt & cross-country equipment for rent (at Wolliggersports)
- Laundry service ( for a fee )
- Waxing corner with waxing stand and special waxing accessories (ski waxing iron, waxing blade and base brushes)
- Cross-country skiing information corner with free cross-country skiing maps, up-to-date information on the condition of the trails,
weather forecast, trail length and folder with tour suggestions
- Competent advice and valuable tips on the subject of cross-country skiing and soft winter
- Free snowshoe hike with national park ranger
- Cross-country ski school and equipment rental only a few meters from the hotel
- Cross-country package with many included services
Recreation and relaxation
- Wellness area with sauna, sanarium, heat bench, fresh air area in the house
- Massage in the house
- Free entrance to the Tauernbad Mallnitz
Rental and courses (lessons)
Other cross-country ski trails in the Hohe Tauern National Park Region
- High altitude cross-country ski trail Mölltaler Gletscher 3 km
- Cross-country ski trails along the Möll River (Obervellach to Stall - only in good snow conditions) 20 km
- Glockner trail - Heiligenblut 4,5 km
- Sonnenloipe - Heiligenblut 3,2 km
- Cross-country skiing track at the Draufluss (Berg to Greifenburg - only in good snow conditions) 20 km
Our partner for equipment:
Cross-country skiing set
1 day EUR 17,00 2 days EUR 27,00 3 days EUR 38,00 4 days EUR 45,00 5 days EUR 50,00
6/7 days EUR 55,00 Extra day EUR 8,00
Our partner for cross-country skiing courses and technique improvement:
Ski and Outdoor School Mallnitz
Cross-country skiing taster day, classic
every Tuesday from 9.00 a.m.
Duration 2 hours
Price EUR 50,00
With mobility pass EUR 40,00
Cross-country skiing taster day, skating
every Tuesday from 13.00 o'clock
Duration 2 hours
Price EUR 50,00
With mobility pass EUR 40,00
Cross-country skiing courses
3 days á 2 hours EUR 117,00
2 days á 2 hours EUR 89,00
1 day á 2 hours EUR 50,00
Program proposal for "cross-country skiing free days
If you don't feel like hitting the trails, there are plenty of ways to spend the day:
- Guided snowshoe hikes 3 days a week
- Ski touring courses
- Winter hiking
- Relax in the hotel's own wellness area
- Tauern bath Mallnitz
- Ankogel Cabel Car
- Feldsentherme Bad Gastein
- Fitness and climbing in Mühldorf
- ArtRAUM Obervellach
- Mölltal Glacier
Further excursion tips are available at the reception.
Member "Cross Country Ski Holidays"
As a member of "Cross Country Ski Holidays" we are well prepared for your cross country vacation! In 2019 we are a member of "Cross Country Ski Holidays". We have specialized in the needs of active winter sports off-piste. The appropriate equipment and numerous extras ensure a carefree stay.
We are awarded by "Cross Country Ski Holidays" with the category "Nordic Fit". As a "Nordic Fit" company, special equipment & services are available to you as a cross-country skier. We will give our best for your active vacation on the trail, and well-being.
The equipment and services are regularly checked with the quality management system "Q-MTS". "Q-MTS" is certified according to DIN EN ISO 9001:2015 by TÜV Austria and was developed especially for tourist offer groups.
Interview with our cross-country skiing expert Jürgen Gössnitzer
What fascinates you about this sport?
What fascinates me about cross-country skiing is that it is a workout for the whole body and you can really work out in the middle of nature.
Do you have a favorite trail / favorite route?
Actually I have two favorite tracks in Mallnitz, one is the track from the village towards Tauerntal.
The Tauerntalrunde includes challenging climbs and due to the shady location the trail is very compact.
Then there is the trail from the village in the direction of the Ankogel ski area, also with some steep passages and fast descents. Shortly before the valley station, you still have the opportunity to strengthen yourself and then enjoy the round around Lake Stappitz.
How did you prepare for the winter season in summer?
In summer I regularly go skiking, which is cross-country skiing on asphalt, similar to roller skiing.
Do you have any tips for those who want to start cross-country skiing?
Personally, I recommend everyone to attend a course, because especially in cross-country skiing there is a big danger,
that you teach yourself the wrong way and lose your desire.
If you want to try it without a course, you should start without poles, because the hand-foot coordination is one of the most difficult things in this sport.
Cross-country skiing with children
The sunny slope directly from the center and the cross-country slopes in Seebachtal are very suitable for families with children. The slopes are absolutely flat and children can easily take their first steps on cross-country skis.